24 May, 2006

the sauvignon challenge

Well, Monday felt like Sunday and Tuesday felt like Monday and here I am on Wednesday. Oops, but all that extra time gave me time to shop around for some summer wines. We went hunting for some great New World Sauvignon Blancs to drink on the patio. The following is a list of what we found (vintages excluded until tasting):
Flagstone (South Africa)
Rock Rabbit (Central Coast, California), 2nd purchase
Saint Clair 'The Vicar's Choice' (Marlborough, New Zealand), revisit - new vintage
The Sauvignon Republic (Russian River Valley, California)
The Sauvignon Republic (Marlborough, New Zealand)
Ferrari-Carano Fume-Blanc (Sonoma County, California), revisit - new vintage
Gallo (California), 9th or 10th purchase
Parducci (Mendocino County, California)

We decided to post the list to see if anyone wanted to join us in the challenge, grab these wines and post a comment on what they think. We also opted for new world b/c we felt it would be a bit easier to focus our notes, we'll see if that actually happens.

We decided to start with the Saint Clair 'Vicar's Choice' from Marlborough as this wine had disappeared for a while, our helper at the store said it was due to transport issues. We didn't care, feeling that the absence created some excitement for us. Would it be as good as remembered or would it fall flat. Well flat it wasn't, yum it is, a perfect sipper with our funky dinner. The nose delivered with rich gooseberry and kiwi and the flavour followed through with gooseberry, melon and grapefruit-citrus; there was a tiny hint of fresh cut lawn. Crisp, acidic finish though not as crisp as the Thornbury if memory serves correct. The Thornbury was also very smooth and I think in comparison wasn't so fruit forward. Both are interesting styles from a great Sauvignon Blanc region. Most enjoyable aspect- that it was so food friendly. We made quesadilla, an untraditional match for New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but it really worked. My partner really enjoys spicy salsa and the wine had enough fruitiness/sweetness to cut the heat.

So to sum it up...
Winery: Saint Clair
Series: The Vicar's Choice
Vintage: 2005
Appellation: Marlborough, New Zealand
Closure: Stelvin
Format: 75cl
Price: $18
Had with: dinner - chicken quesadilla; dessert - fresh fruit salad
Recommend: yes, b/c or pairability and sipability.

Next week: Parducci and a red.

8 comments:

Keystone said...

I've enjoyed both the Rock Rabbit and the Sauvignon Republic Russian River Valley SB. Both were excellent, but for $6 more, the Sauvignon Republic was much better than the Rock Rabbit.

Which Flagstone SB did you try?

N90 said...

We had the Fish Hoek (? spelling) - about $12-16, can't remember.

I really like the Rock Rabiit, & I agree, sometimes when I spend more I do get a better wine. With The Sauvignon Republic I am expecting more based not just on the price but the idea behind the wine and the regions. When it comes to the Rock Rabbit it appeals to my fun side. Great label, great nose, goes down tasty and easy.

I am looking forward to the Parducci. I am trying it tonight for blogging on Tuesday. I have some really fond memories of their Petit Sirah (it had a blueish label, super cocao & berry flavours).

Anonymous said...

Hey, at the Wine Festival I met an older rep who tipped me off on the greatest deck wine ever. It's from France I think or maybe Switzerland, somewhere in the Alps, called Apresmont(sp?) WOW!!! It's pricey, like $20, but Holy Jamoli, me and my partner we can't stop drinking it. It's really light, but ummm lingering I guess is the best way to put it. Found it at the MLCC store, even tho the old guy told me it was at the private stores. Have you tried it?

N90 said...

No, I haven't tried it but I am totally curious-I'm heading to the mall this evening and will take a run by the Liquormart and try to find a bottle.
I found a really chewy red at a few of the privates called Chateau de Pena from the Pyrenees; French side. Watch for it is you want to try something totally unique and good.

Anonymous said...

Oh? Which Private store? What's the price range? I often buy at Pembina as it's close to home.

Keystone said...

Yeah, that Chateau de Pena was really good. I tried it last night for the first time and I didn't expect much from it - but it was a very tasty surprise.

Kenaston carries it for $15 and change, but I haven't seen it anywhere else (although I've only been to DeLuca's and Fenton's in the last few months).

Anonymous said...

Kenaston is a touch out of the way for me as I'm a Bus/bike traveller. I'll look at Pembina, but so far 2 out of 2 endorsements has me intriqued.

N90 said...

Like A I bought it from Kenaston, it is in my community. Pembina is a trip for me though I do head down there every once in a while.

I was in Fenton's last week, I loved the new Cognac sectoin upstairs, has a great feel and really interesting products.