28 November, 2005

inspired by snow

So, a vote of non-confidence and an election, I finished my book and I could ignore the wine blog no more. Why the procrastination? Well, I recycled a bottle before I wrote the vintage in my notebook (marked below), and there is no way I was driving across town to the store I bought it in to look at a label, and I am too lazy to pick up the phone. I am going to guesstimate on the vintage, if anyone has had the wine recently please confirm.

When the snow flies all that white sends me back to the fridge, back to white wine. We stay home (cocoon) a bit more, we entertain a bit more, we cook a bit more. I have always found white wine & food a bit more of a challenge, and I like a challenge.

The following white wines are all posted in the 'so to sun it up' format:

J.Lohr's Riverstone Chardonnay
Grape(s): Chardonnay
Vintage: 2003
Appellation: Monterey, California
Closure: Trad. Cork
Format: Standard, 750ml
Price: $22
Had With: Peter Mansbridge, okay he wasn't actually here but he was on TV. We had a veggie pasta that didn't do the wine justice. Golden colour, creamy texture, hints of pear.
Recommend: Buy. Why? Every once in a while I get a hankering for a Chard so oaky I can pull splinters from my gums; this is that wine, vintage after vintage after vintage.

Pascual Toso
Grape(s): Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2003, recycled
Appellation: Mendoza, Argentina
Closure: Cork, neoprene
Format: standard
Price: $12
Had With: Take away veggie pizza with feta cheese, watched Grosse Point Blank.
Recommend: Maybe, good Wednesday wine?

Thornbury Estate
Grape(s): Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2003
Appellation: Marlborough, New Zealand
Closure: Stelvin
Format: standard
Price: $20
Had with: conversation; 3 people while preparing dinner, we meant for it to last through dinner but, well this wine went down smooth. Great acidity, wowing citrus, hint of kiwi and passionfruit. Very yummy.
Recommend: Yes, do not pass go, just take your $20 and go directly to wine store.

Lingenfelder's Fish Label
Grape(s): Riesling
Vintage: 2003
Apellation: Mosel, Germany
Closure: Stelvin
Format: standard
Had With: Tilapia & spinach salad. A very enjoyable wine. Great ripeness, hints of gala apple and pear nectar, sploosh of honey.
Recommend: Yes, this is a great example of what a good Riesling can be. Don't be afraid of Riesling, it is magical when it is spot on.

2 comments:

Keystone said...

Updates? Wine news? Tasting notes?

Inquiring minds want to know...

N90 said...

Tired & bored - had a run of wines at peoples homes over Christmas that were not bloggable, or drinkable for that matter.