03 August, 2005

grab the bull by the horns

You can read the paragraph or skip to 'So to sum it up...'

Yet another Fedora has been thrown into the proverbial ring, or so I thought. Priced to compete in the 'animal-on-the-label' category is Bleasedale's Langhorne Crossing Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz. Yes, there is an animal (looks Angus) on the label but it is understated and has history to it. What I liked about this number was the ripe berry-fruit and a hint of caramel toast, but not over fruity and sticky sweet. Very yummy, very drinkable while we were cooking and very tasty with the salmon burgers we prepared. My favourite part is this little number is 100% single appellation fruit (Langhorne Creek), no generic 'South Australia' here and the winery also lists the oak - French & American.

So to sum it up...
Bleasedale Langhorne Crossing Red
Grape(s): Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz
Vintage: 2003
Appellation: Langhorne Creek, Australia
Closure: Stelvin
Price: $11.5 (before tax)
Recommend: good on own or with comfort fare. Definite Buy.
Bleasdale

2 comments:

Keystone said...

At the risk of echoing my fellow wine blogger, I also like your first post - good work! Although your use of the term 'Stelvin' makes me wonder. I only know one person who regularly uses that term...

Anyways, the critter tasting blog-o-rama sounds good. Hoofed critters would be easy (Sangre de Toro or Angus the Bull)But I call dibs on the waterfowl.

Already linked BTW.

N90 said...

a...I know a lot of people, and a few who use Stelvin...

Thanks for the comments and the links.

I would be up for a critter tasting. Should we limit the critters to just birds and fowl that don't fly? Or just any critter? Tackle just whites? Or any colour? A specific country or region?

I'll look for your suggestions over the weekend.